December 11, 2014

I've Gone To The Dogs!

Why try to say it in any other way:

WE GOT A PUPPY!!

I had always wanted a dog and my mom would never get one. She doesn’t like the poo or pee that comes with it or any of the kissing it involves (although she does think they are cute and will pet them if she is around them). Thomas didn’t want a dog either.

But, you see, Thomas tends to give me what I want. I don’t know if this will wear out the longer we’re married but I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts.

I had bombarded him with texts and messages of little cute doggies I had found on different websites and then on Friday night I asked (told) to go to the local Animal Shelter to see the dogs there.

Thomas: You have to promise that we won’t get a dog tomorrow.
Me: I promise, we won’t.

He pauses, looks at the TV and laughs.

Me: What are you laughing at?
Thomas: I get the feeling that we will leave there with a puppy.

I don’t know if it’s just that he really liked the dog (he would never admit it if he did) or he saw how much the dog loved me or that I really liked the puppy, but I didn’t even have to fight.

We headed to the shelter at about 4pm on Saturday afternoon. We walked up and down the kennel and saw a lot of large dogs. Thomas said he would have, if anything, liked a big dog, but we live in a condo with no yard, so that wasn’t an option. We finally saw the small dogs. There were a lot of those, too.

Thomas and I don’t tend to agree on many things. For example, he wanted one with long hair and I wanted short hair. What we did agree one was on a younger dog. We didn’t want one that already came with health issues (and I hope they will end up adopted). We found a few doggies that I liked. But I kept going back to one of them.

When we first walked into the shelter a family was looking at him. When they left I went over to see what the fuss was over. He was sticking his little paws out from underneath the gate and trying to lick me when I got near. He got to me right there. None of the other dogs were doing that. Many of them were barking. Thomas was still looking around the kennel when a big group of people walked in causing all the dogs to bark. Including the two other dogs in the small cage as the one I liked. That one, though, stayed quiet, just looking around.

A non-barker! A small dog! Short hair! A puppy!



It was meant to be. We looked around a big longer and then got one of the workers to show the puppy to us.

He came to me and licked me, jumped on me… he knew it was me that was supposed to adopt him. Thomas stood at first, and the dog finally came around to him. But he definitely preferred me.

After asking questions for a while, the worker asked what we thought. Thomas said something about it being up to me. So I said yea, if it’s up to me let’s get him! That was it!

Soooo I’m sorry if this becomes  somewhat of a doggy blog… but it’s my first pet, so I’m going to be full of things to ask and say!

2 comments :

  1. Awww congrats what a cutie!! I'm a huge animal lover :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you adopted him from a shelter. There are so many dogs that don't get adopted and many more who live in puppy mills with horrid conditions. I hope Lance brings you so much happiness and love.

    ReplyDelete