November 2, 2014

Which Restrictions Can You Not Stand?

I suppose I’ve been known to break a rule, or even two. I know rules are supposed to be there to “protect” us, but some are just plain dumb. Still, I was only able to come up with a few that really get to me.

For example…

  1. Grocery bags. This is the most recent stupid law that has come into effect in Los Angeles. For those of you who are lucky enough to not be in an area that has such a law, you are lucky.  The idea is that plastic grocery bags are hazardous to the environment. That they get thrown away and are a waste. Well, I don’t know about you, but we NEVER threw a bag away unless it was completely ripped. They were always used as trash bags, lunch bags, transport this or that bags. Now we don’t have the luxury of the stores giving us bags (we have to pay 10 cents to get paper bags) so we have to buy our own trash bags, lunch bags, transfer things bags. Which sounds to me like a conspiracy between the stores and the government to get us to spend more money and for them to save money.  These bans also cause losses in manufacturing jobs when we’re still recovering from a recession. I’ve also read articles about the harm in reusable bags including the contamination that comes from them being placed on the floor and then on tables/couches/etc.
  2. Drinking Age While this never affected me personally, I’d lower the drinking age to 18. I think this goes hand in hand with voting. Why, if we can serve in the military at 18, can’t we drink? We can smoke at 18! But a beer? Nah.
  3. Traffic Lights Okay, so this isn’t a law but it’s something I think needs to be changed. Wherever there is a left turning arrow and U-Turns are not allow, there should be a right turning arrow. It would make many intersections work a lot more smoothly. I don’t know why it bothers me…
  4. Permanent Markers I bet some of you didn’t know you had broken the law this way. Apparently many states have a law that states that you may not  carry permanent markers with you in public since they can be used for vandalism.


What can't you stand?

Knock on Wood - List Yourself



3 comments :

  1. There's a law in Georgia that says you can't tie a giraffe to a lamp post. lol. I never knew other states didn't let you use plastic bags. that's crazy! I love plastic bags

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH. My (old) county (San Luis Obispo) has had the plastic bag ban since 2012. When I would go visit OC or LA I would get really shocked when I'd get a plastic bag and people looked at me like I was crazy. I ALWAYS forget to bring my reusable bag so I'd end up paying 10 cents every time I went to the store. Now I live in San Bernadino County and the ban hasn't hit us yet THANK GOD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see where the bag ban has come from, but it is also a huge hassle. But I am so with you traffic lights. People are so rude and stupid when driving sometimes.

    P.S. We have tons of grocery bags. I'll mail you some!

    ReplyDelete