September 4, 2014

Celebrity Crushes from The Good Years


Thursday, Sept. 4: Who were your celebrity crushes from your childhood?

So I’m going to be zig-zagging between the two September link ups depending on which prompt inspires me for each day. 

For today I loved the prompt about childhood celebrity crushes. 

From what I’ve gathered many of the bloggers I read and who read this here blog are in their late 20’s to early 30’s. Which means we probably have similar childhood crushes.



My first love with JTT. Yes, him. For those of you not in the know, JTT stands for Jonathan Taylor Thomas. (Hmm, my husband’s name is Thomas and my nephew’s name is Jonathan… no Taylor- maybe I’ll name my son/daughter that!). If the name doesn’t ring a bell, I’m sure you’ll recognize him from Home Improvement with Tim Allen. 

He was the guy when I was in middle school. I had his posters on my wall and I didn’t miss an episode of the show. I even had the chance to go see one of the last tapings of the show back in 1998. I didn’t meet him (although I did meet Tim Allen, not a good celebrity encounter though) but it was fun to see the show being taped and to be in the same room with my crush (I was in 8th or 9th grade at the time). It was disappointing that he didn’t get to be a huge star. 

My second crush, I think, was Leonardo. No last name needed. You all know who I speak of. I was the perfect age when Titanic came out and if I remember correctly I saw it in the theaters 4 times (not including the time I went to see it in 3D a year or 2 ago). I had many Bop and Tiger Beat posters of him on my bedroom walls. And you know what? He continues to be hot and continues to make great movies. Yay for that!



Mixed into these crushes were BSB. I know I’ve seen them mentioned in other blogs, but for those who might not know – Backstreet Boys. I went to a movie with a friend who was infinitely more pop culturally aware than I was and head a song before the movie which she identified as one (I can’t remember which one it was, I think it was What’s Going On) by BSB and that was it. I was hooked. I made my dad take me to 2 or 3 stores to find their CD (this was in August 1998). A week later I went to spend a couple of weeks with my sister and my brother-in-law. By coincidence BSB had a concert in a nearby town (Concord, CA) and my brother in law was kind enough to take me. We only had lawn seats but it was amazing.



I’ve gone to over a dozen of their show’s since then – including 4th row seats that cost me $114 (not too bad compared to what some shows cost). Last summer I went to their kick off concert in Los Angeles with my niece and husband (boyfriend at the time) and I took my niece to see their concern in Irvine a month later. 

My gift to my sister and brother-in-law for taking me to that first concert was introducing their music to their elder daughter, Mika – who is now also obsessed with BSB and went to her first concert last spring. 

Specifically my obsession was with AJ. I shared the obsession with my best friend from high school who adored Brian. I love that 21+ years later they are still around and we will continue to enjoy their music. 

Who were your obsessions? Did you love BSB like me? Will you come with me to their next concert?


Treasure Tromp




3 comments :

  1. I also was a fan of JTT. And Jonathan Brandis. And Elijah Wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved JTT too. And of course Leonardo. I still like Leonardo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leonardo was one of my celebrity crushes, too! I still really like him as an actor.

    ReplyDelete