September 3, 2014

Blog-Tember: When I Grow Up I Want To Be….

When I was little I wanted to be a kidney doctor. When I was born my sister was on dialysis and she received her transplant just after I turned 3 – so all I knew growing up was kidney this and kidney that, so naturally that’s what I wanted to do when I grew up. 

I’m not exactly sure when that changed, but eventually I had no idea what I wanted to do. I think I did go through a stage of wanting to be a teacher, but once in college I didn’t really consider it for a few years. Even in college I didn’t know what I wanted to do when I graduated. I sort of just settled for Journalism because people said I was a good writer. I never really wanted to be a journalist. I don’t like time constraints. Or at least not the ones that journalism requires. 

So then I went back to teaching, and stuck with that for about 8 years before I had to give it up. There were no jobs available (this was 2008 when many teachers were being laid off, not hired) so in 2012 I got a job as a receptionist. Not my ideal job, and it caused me a lot of emotional drama, but luckily I change jobs soon thereafter. 

As I mentioned in a previous post – I LOVE my job now. And when I grow up… I want to keep doing something in this field of Social Work! I love that I get to help people, even if in the smallest of ways. I hope I can promote, but still work in Social Services. 


I guess I might not be a doctor, but I’m still helping others!


3 comments :

  1. Too funny- I wanted to teach then ended up graduating with a Journalism degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who are in Social Work always have such big hearts! It's wonderful that you can help people in this capacity :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 35 and still don't know what I want to be :)

    ReplyDelete