June 10, 2014

Tangled Mess

I was born bald. I remained so for the first couple of years of my life. Once my hair grew in, it grew in straight and thin. It remained that way for the last 29+ years of my life. 


As a teenager I attempted to curl it and do things with it for dances and other events but it rarely worked. I remember one homecoming dance in which my best friends mom curled my hair and used a whole can of hair spray to keep it curled... only to have it disappear soon thereafter. 

Last August (2013) my husband (then fiancee) twin sister got married and I went to get my hair curled for the party. 

It also didn't last very long:



For my wedding they had to spend a long time taking small sections of my hair and putting them into spirals, wrapping them in aluminum foil, and then putting a flat iron on them. 



They also put a lot of hair spray on... and it sort of worked. It lasted through the day and I looked gorgeous. 


When I started planning my honeymoon to Argentina I thought I'd go ahead and get a perm while I was there (since it would be so much cheaper than having it done in the US). Unfortunately I didn't find the time to dedicate to the perm. 

I still wanted to get it done, so on Wednesday I headed to JC Penney's Salon and requested a perm that would give me some body but not ringlet curls. Purple was the color for me, I was told. 

They promised me that my hair was in good shape and that the perm would take. So far, so good. 

The only problem is that I don't know how to have wavy hair. I don't know how to care for it or manage it. I was told to wait 72 hours before washing my hair, so as soon as those 72 hours were done with I went ahead and washed my hair out and blew it out with a diffuser (which is what I was told to use). 

Then I was stupid. Then I threw all thought out the window and got my hair tangled on a round brush. My husband was sleeping at the time and I had to wake him up but he was unable to do anything. I called my mom and dragged her over to my house (luckily a block or so away) to see if she could help me. She attempted to cut off the brush points and slide my hair out as I sat on the floor and pouted. 



When that did not work I decided, before it got to be too late, to go to Super Cuts (my hair person closed at 6pm, and it was 6:30 at this point) and see if they could help. 

With some pulling, shoving, and hard work they were able to get the hair off the brush. The brush took some of my hair with it, however. 



I can't be mad, though, because it was my own stupid fault. Plus, with the volume and waves in my hair now I can hide it pretty well. 



We'll see what happens and how I deal with the hair... since I will have to wear a clip or pin for a while. I do have to go back to JC Penney and show the guy that part of my hair is still straight as can be so that he can re-do it. I just don't know when I'll have time for that to happen. 


 photo himsignature_zps66b5c889.png

2 comments :

  1. Say NO to round brushes!
    And buy the shampoo and conditioner for curly hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck!

    I don't know a lot about hair. Mine doesn't usually like to cooperate with me.

    ReplyDelete