July 4, 2014

Happy Independence Day!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE fireworks. I always have. Besides Christmas I think the 4th of July is my favorite holiday. I love the patriotism (even if it’s just for one day) and I love all the people that get together for the festivities. I also love that it’s in the summer. 

When I was little 4th of July was mostly going to the local college(s) to see the fireworks display they sponsored. I don’t remember ever having burgers and hot dogs for the holiday, but it’s what I’ve always wanted. The past couple of years I’ve done it with Thomas at his parents’ house. Actually, as I think about it I think once or twice I spent the holiday with my sister and her husband (when I was a pre-teen) and I think they grilled up some burgers. I’ll have to ask them. 

I want the 4th of July to be “my” holiday. Christmas is taken by Thomas’ family and mine as well, so I want a holiday that people can come celebrate at my home. 

Unfortunately because of the wedding, honeymoon, and Thomas traveling in the past months we were unable to get things together enough to do anything this year. 

Next year, however, I will hold a party at our place. Well, maybe not in our home itself, but in the rec room that belongs to our building. There is a pool there and we can bring the grill (that we have yet to buy) there and grill up some burgers and hot dogs and corn on the cob as well. Actually I may do this this year, just not for the 4th


In my mind these grill-outs will be at about 1pm so that we have enough time to cook, chill, swim, talk, and then clean up to head out to a park or wherever the fireworks will be. 

The last several years I've gone to a local show that puts on a pretty awesome 30-60 minute show. Before hand it's like a small fair with some activities, a concert, and lots of food options. 


This is from 2012, our first 4th of July together. I look so different with dark long hair! 


This is from 2013. We aren't very original when it comes to poses or t-shirts, I guess! 


Linking up with....

Allieology





2 comments :

  1. I also aspire to own the 4th of July holiday! I dont have my own place right now, but when I do I want to invite all my people over for a BBQ and make cute mason jar candles and have patriotic decor strewn about. Its such a low stress holiday (unlike the burdon of say... Christmas). I hope next year you get to host the most amazing 4th of July event your family has ever seen!

    ReplyDelete